Monday, May 17, 2010

Potato, Leek, and Feta Tart


Thanks for the picture Kathie!

Serves 4
Hands-on Time: 20m
Total Time: 1hr 20m

1 tablespoon olive oil
2 leeks (white and light green parts), cut into half-moons
2 small zucchini, cut into half-moons
kosher salt and black pepper
1/2 cup crumbled Feta (about 2 ounces)
2 tablespoons chopped fresh dill
2 Red Bliss potatoes (8 ounces), thinly sliced
1 store-bought 9-inch piecrust

Directions

1. Heat oven to 375ยบ F. Heat the oil in a large skillet over medium
heat. Add the leeks, zucchini, ½ teaspoon salt, and ¼ teaspoon pepper
and cook, stirring occasionally, until just tender, 4 to 5 minutes.
Stir in the Feta and dill. Add the potatoes and toss to combine.

2. On a piece of parchment paper, roll the piecrust to a 12-inch
diameter. Slide the paper onto a baking sheet. Spoon the potato
mixture onto the piecrust, leaving a 2-inch border. Fold the edge of
the piecrust over the edge of the potato mixture. Bake (covering with
foil if the crust gets too dark) until the piecrust is golden brown
and the potatoes are tender, 50 to 60 minutes.

Tip
When selecting leeks, look for straight, firm stalks. Limp leeks are old.

Nutritional Information
Calories 396; Fat 22g; Sat Fat 9g; Cholesterol 27mg; Sodium 668mg;
Protein 7g; Carbohydrate 44g; Fiber 2g


------------------------
My version:

I made this for lunch today and realized I should probably type this recipe up the way I actually make it. :) It is so much FASTER and just as delicious.

The pie crust at the store comes two in a box. I can eat 1/2 of the tart myself, so I normally make both of the pie crusts for four people.


olive oil, as needed
2 leeks (white and light green parts), cut into half-moons
(if I don't have leeks or enough leeks, I add some chopped yellow onion)
2 small zucchini, cut into half-moons
kosher salt and black pepper (if desired)
1/2 the container crumbled Feta
4 tablespoons chopped fresh dill
4 Red Bliss potatoes (8 ounces), thinly sliced
2 store-bought 9-inch piecrust

I start by heating the oil. I add more oil as I go if things stick to the pan.

I preheat the oven to 450F (as the pie crust directions indicate).

I THINLY slice the red potatoes. I put them in the pan first and stir occasionally as I chop the other ingredients. I wait for them to start to brown around the edges then add the salt, pepper, leek and zucchini. I stir the vegetables occasionally until the zucchini starts to brown and soften. I add the feta and dill. I stir for a few minutes while the feta softens and there is a wonderful smell.

On a cookie sheet, I place some parchment paper and roll out a pie crust. I put 1/2 of the mixture on the pie crust. I fold over the edges of the pie crust but the middle still shows. I bake for 11-15 minutes (as the pie crust directions indicate). I normally bake it for 14 minutes. The pie crust will start to be golden brown towards the bottom. (I normally put the second tart in 1/2 way through the baking of the first tart.)

The tart should easily slide onto a cutting board to be cut into fourths and enjoyed.

1 comment:

  1. To make MSPI friendly, make your own tart crust using shortening & substitute the feta with goat chevre which can be found at Super Saver. The chevre doesn't melt, but it's very smooth.

    ReplyDelete