- 4 to 6 pound whole boneless pork loin
- 1 TBS Chinese five spice powder
- 2 tsps sea salt
- 1 tsp cracked black pepper
- 1/2 tsp garlic powder
- 1/4 tsp nutmeg (optional)
- 2 TBS grapeseed or safflower oil
- Unsweetened apple juice
- Oak or apple wood chips
Total time:4 hour – Prep time:1 hour – Smoke time:3 hour – Serves:8 people
Directions for electric smoker:
Directions for a charcoal smoker:
1. Rinse, dry, trim, and season the meat as described above.
2. Soak the wood chips in water for 30 to 60 minutes.
3. Light the charcoal as directed in the smoker instructions in the base of the smoker. Add the wood chips when the charcoal is turning white and the thermometer reads 225˚F. Place the water bowl in next and fill with 1” of apple juice and water. Place the grill rack on the smoker.
4. Place the loin, fat side up, on the grill just above the water bowl. (You might have to cut it in half to fit properly). Close the lid and smoke until the internal temperature of the meat is 155˚F. This will take approximately 1-1/2 to 2-1/2 hours with the grill temperature at 225˚F to 250˚F. Add more wood chips at 60 minutes. You might also have to add a few more coals.
5. Serve as suggested above.