Monday, August 20, 2012

Salsa for Canning

I am copy and pasting this recipe.

10 lbs tomatoes, chopped
6 medium onions, chopped
3 cups bell peppers (any kind), chopped
12 jalapeno peppers, chopped and seeded
5 chili peppers, chopped and seeded (this will make it spicy or milder, depending on the peppers you choose)
10 cloves garlic, minced
1/3 cup fresh cilantro, chopped
1 1/3 cups white vinegar
1/4 cup salt
2 tsp pepper
2 tsp cayenne pepper
2 tsp cumin
2 tbsp lime juice
3 cans tomato paste (the bigger cans, not the tiny ones)

Combine all ingredients except tomato paste in a large stock pot. Simmer approximately 40 minutes, stirring occasionally. Add tomato paste and mix well. Simmer another 20 minutes or so. At this point, I take out about half of the salsa, blend it smooth in the blender and then return it to the pot, but you can leave it chunky if you prefer. Ladle into hot jars leaving 1/4" headspace. Cap and process 15 minutes in a water bath canner. Remove jars and let cool.

This recipe makes approximately 15 pints.


I followed directions from here for getting the jars,  tomatoes, and finished product ready. 

The main tips I used were:
1) Use Roma tomatoes for salsa.

2) Place a few tomatoes at a time in boiling water, for 30-45 seconds.  Pull out and submerge in ice water.  Skins will slide right off.

3) Run jars through the dishwasher on the sanitize cycle.  (Our dishwasher does not have a sanitize cycle.  So, I used the pots and pans cycle and put it on heated water and dry.)

4) Bathe the jars in boiling water for 20 minutes.  (I aimed to have the jars covered with water, but my pans aren't big enough for the taller jars.)

5) I covered my towels after the bath to keep them from draft overnight.  All my jars were sealed in the a.m.

No comments:

Post a Comment