Wednesday, August 22, 2012

Mulligatawny

This recipe is copied and pasted from here.  And, then, edited to reflect what I did or would do in the future.
  •  1/2 cup chopped onion
  • 2 stalks celery, chopped
  • 1 carrot, diced
  • 1/4 cup butter (We used olive oil and about 2 Tbsp.)
  • 1 1/2 Tablespoons all-purpose flour
  • 1 1/2 Tablespoons curry powder  (I would use this amount next time.)
  • 4 cups chicken broth
  • 1/2 apple, cored and chopped
  • 1/4 cup white rice
  • 1 skinless, boneless chicken breast half - cut into cubes
  • salt to taste
  • ground black pepper to taste
  • 1 pinch dried thyme
  • 1/2 cup heavy cream, heated  (I didn't heat it.)

Directions

I served this with homemade naan.  I started the naan 45 minutes before starting the soup.  

Saute onions, celery, carrot, and butter in a large soup pot. Add flour and curry, and cook 5 more minutes. Add chicken stock, mix well, and bring to a boil. Simmer about 1/2 hour. 

Add apple, rice, chicken, salt, pepper, and thyme. Simmer 15-20 minutes, or until rice is done. 

I, think, next time I would put at least some of it in a blender to give it more of a creamy texture.

When serving, add hot cream.

No comments:

Post a Comment