Tuesday, May 24, 2011
Cheesy Broiled Tomatoes and Pasta
THIS is a Real Simple recipe. It looks beautiful and tastes pretty good. It is just a nice change up from always having red sauce.
* 12 ounces spaghetti
* 3 large beefsteak tomatoes (about 1 1/2 pounds), each cut into 4 thick slices
* 3 tablespoons olive oil, plus more for the baking sheet
* kosher salt and black pepper
* 8 ounces fresh mozzarella, grated
* 1/4 cup grated Parmesan (1 ounce), plus more, shaved, for serving
* 2 cloves garlic, chopped
* 1/4 to 1/2 teaspoon crushed red pepper
* 3/4 cup torn fresh basil leaves, plus more for serving
1. Heat broiler. Cook the pasta according to the package directions; drain and return it to the pot.
2. Meanwhile, arrange the tomato slices in a single layer on a lightly oiled rimmed baking sheet. Season with ¼ teaspoon each salt and black pepper. Dividing evenly, sprinkle the slices with the mozzarella and Parmesan. Broil until the cheese is bubbly and golden, 3 to 5 minutes.
3. In a small saucepan, warm the oil with the garlic and red pepper over medium heat until fragrant, 1 to 2 minutes.
4. Add the garlic oil, basil, ½ teaspoon salt, and ¼ teaspoon black pepper to the pasta and toss to combine. Serve topped with the tomatoes, additional basil, and shaved Parmesan.